When trying to install WordStar 3.x the installation fails with a "Too Little Memory" error message. The PC has more than 512Kb of RAM fitted.
WordStar 3.3 was written for machines with around 128Kb of RAM. The install routine uses a signed compare to check for memory and will fail if you have MORE THAN 512kB (even though it says "not enough" you actually have too much).
- Make a backup of your installation disk!
- Using the backup, copy the program debug.com from your DOS directory onto the installation disk.
- At the DOS prompt type the text in below, pressing Return after each line:
Â Â 72
You will be returned to the operating system and will be ready to run the installation.
Applicability to other versions of WordStar & other MicroPro programs
- Later versions of WordStar - version 4 onwards do not have this problem.
- CalcStar, StarIndex, and FormSort may have similar problems. Download the details in text format from here.